Item Id: 303
Gamosa is a unique identity of the Assamese Society. This small piece of cloth has high esteem and a wide usage in the Assamese culture. Gamosa is one unique cloth article in it's usage and looks. Nowhere in the rest of India something like 'Gamosa' is found. Gamosa is also known as 'Bihuwaan', as it is an essential part of Bihu festival of Assam.
Gamosa is of rectangular shape, around 2 feet in width and 4 feet in height, closer to the shape of a towel. It's white in colour with red borders. One or two borders on the width, are woven with very artistic embroidery. The raw material used for weaving Gamosa is cotton. But some gamosa used in special occassions are made of Silk too. Though it's pretty simple, weavers show their artistic talents in the motifs of a gamosa.
- The Gamosa is primarily used to wipe the body after a bath (an act of cleansing), however, the usage extends to more than that.
- A Gamosa is used to cover the scriptures or the cowl in the Prayer hall(Naamghar). An object of reverence is always placed on a Gamosa and not on bare ground..
- The Gamosa is used by Bihu dancers where they wrap it around their heads in a single knot. Farmers use it as a waistcloth (tongali) or a loincloth (suriya).
- People hang the Gamosa around their neck while praying in the prayer hall (Naamghar).
- While welcoming guests, they are offered a gamosa(referred to as bihuwaan in this case) and tamul (betel nut).
You need to Login
- We ensure that the order gets processed within 24 hours. However, for furniture we usually ship within 20 business days of receiving order.
- We strive to deliver products in excellent condition and in the fastest time possible. However, we can't commit on the same.
- For furniture we provide free delivery (within India). However, for other products we charge a flat rate courier amount. The shipping cost will be charged as mentioned in the products page and will not change on application of discount coupons.
- Once the products are shipped from our location, we will send you the shipperâ€™s reference number (airway bill number/docket number) through email.
Terms & Return Policy
- Cancellations on categories (other than furniture and lighting) are allowed only till the item is shipped.
- No cancellations in furniture and lighting are allowed, once the order is placed. In case of any exception, two-way shipping charges will be borne by the customer.
- In case of cancellations, no refund will be made for Part Payment of orders; the advance amount will be forfeited as cancellation charges.
- Returns will only be accepted for damaged/ defective products.
- You will need to inform us of any damage/ defects within 48 hours of delivery of the product, in order to receive the replacement.
- Please do not accept any products with damaged/ tampered packaging (excludes normal wear & tear and markings on the outer surface of the package, acceptable in the transit process).
- Products/ Items should be UNUSED.
- Products should be returned in their original packaging along with the original price tags, labels and invoices.
- It is advised that the return packets should be strongly and adequately packaged so that there is no damage of goods in transit.
- Any products damaged post delivery to customer, shall not be accepted for return.
Refunds will be processed within 7 business days of receipt of the product by us, provided goods are received in acceptable condition as dispatched. Refund method will be based on the mode of order payment.
Straw Bags, Assamese Gamosa, Bamboo and Cane Furniture, Natural Bamboo Lamps and Lighting
You need to Login