Item Id: 302
Gamosa is a unique identity of Assamese Society. This small piece of cloth has high esteem and wide usage in Assamese culture. Gamosa is one unique cloth article in it's usage and looks, nowhere in the rest of India something like 'Gamosa' is found. Gamosa is also known as 'Bihuwaan', as it is an essential part of Bihu festival of Assam.
Gamosa is of rectangular shape, around 2 feet in width and 4 feet in height, closer to the shape of a towel. It's white in colour with red borders. One or two borders on the width, are woven with very artistic embroidery. The raw materialused for weaving Gamosa is cotton. But some gamosa used in special occassions are made of Silk too. Though it's pretty simple, weavers show their artistic talents in the motifs of a gamosa.
- Though it may be used daily to wipe the body after a bath (an act of purification), the use is not restricted to this.
- It is used to cover the altar at the prayer hall or cover the scriptures. An object of reverence is never placed on the bare ground, but always on a gamosa.
- It is used by the farmer as a waistcloth (tongali) or a loincloth (suriya); a Bihu dancer wraps it around the head with a fluffy knot (see picture).
- It is hung around the neck at the prayer hall (naamghar) and was thrown over the shoulder in the past to signify social status.
- Guests are welcomed with the offering of a gamosa and tamul (betel nut) and elders are offered gamosas (referred to as bihuwaan in this case) during Bihu.
One can therefore, very well say, that the gamosa symbolizes the life and culture of Assam.
Assamese society can't be imagined without Gamosa. The most ineterestingly it's not losing it's popularity and importance with time unlike other traditional elements of Assamese society. It has also found a place in the modern fashion world.
You need to Login
- We ensure that the order gets processed within 24 hours. However, for furniture we usually ship within 20 business days of receiving order.
- We strive to deliver products in excellent condition and in the fastest time possible. However, we can't commit on the same.
- For furniture we provide free delivery (within India). However, for other products we charge a flat rate courier amount. The shipping cost will be charged as mentioned in the products page and will not change on application of discount coupons.
- Once the products are shipped from our location, we will send you the shipperâ€™s reference number (airway bill number/docket number) through email.
Terms & Return Policy
- Cancellations on categories (other than furniture and lighting) are allowed only till the item is shipped.
- No cancellations in furniture and lighting are allowed, once the order is placed. In case of any exception, two-way shipping charges will be borne by the customer.
- In case of cancellations, no refund will be made for Part Payment of orders; the advance amount will be forfeited as cancellation charges.
- Returns will only be accepted for damaged/ defective products.
- You will need to inform us of any damage/ defects within 48 hours of delivery of the product, in order to receive the replacement.
- Please do not accept any products with damaged/ tampered packaging (excludes normal wear & tear and markings on the outer surface of the package, acceptable in the transit process).
- Products/ Items should be UNUSED.
- Products should be returned in their original packaging along with the original price tags, labels and invoices.
- It is advised that the return packets should be strongly and adequately packaged so that there is no damage of goods in transit.
- Any products damaged post delivery to customer, shall not be accepted for return.
Refunds will be processed within 7 business days of receipt of the product by us, provided goods are received in acceptable condition as dispatched. Refund method will be based on the mode of order payment.
Buy handicrafts of Assam and North East India.
You need to Login